Re: Special License Plates

To: <baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com>, "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Special License Plates
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:43 -0400

>At 08:30 PM 6/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Most states have "historic vehicle" plates available.
>>Here in KY, and I'm sure other states, there is a stipulation that you can
>>only drive the car to "events", or some such stupid rule...
>>Has anyone EVER gotten a ticket for driving to work or the store with
>>historic plates???

>The benfit here, however, is great.  With Historic plates, I only have to
>register the car every three years, and I DON'T have to get your car
>inspected.

In PA there is a similar law about cars with classic or antique plates.
I've heard some old wives tales about an individual who worked a late shift
at a factory and drove a restored classic of some sort.  It seems a cop
worked that same night beat, and noticed the car running to and from the
factory.  After a few months, he caught on, and the offender (If he offended
anyone!) was ticketed.

I DO know of people who weren't caught by the cops, but a much worse
authority...Their insurance company.  When he reported his yearly mileage,
forgetting the 3,000 mile per year rule, the insurance company smelled a rat
and promptly raised his rates.  YMMV, but I would get them anyway and be
'smart' about how you use the car.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/