Slightly off topic,

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Slightly off topic,
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:54:33 EDT
In the town where i live there is a mechanic who specializes in brake
jobs and as a sideline sells - shall we say - "station cars" - tired
looking beasts of sundry marques
usually 8-12 years old and in the $1000-3000 range, he usually has about
15 littering his lot and since some of them have been there longer than
ive lived in town, i imagine he must be very good at brakes!!
Whilst driving past today the traffic paused just outside this place and
something in the back caught my eye - just a glimpse of the rear of a
black car, but i recognized it immediately, a 1939 Austin Big 7 - the
"luxury" 4 door version of the ordinary 7. I hurredly turned into the lot
and went to investigate. - The reason i recognized it was that  a 39 Big
7 was my first car, which i learned to drive on, longer ago than is
seemly to mention! - but it cost ten pounds so you can take a guess! and
in all the intervening years, i have NEVER seen another one, not even in
museums
It was in fairly good condition and sported a Vermont plate from 92 but
had obviously stood there some time. all 4 tyres were flat and the
windows were turning green!
 I went in and asked about it - at first the guy didnt know what i was
talking about, "Austin" and  "big 7" obviously meant nothing but he got
it at "old black car behind the building"
I asked if he wanted to sell it but he said it was just in for repairs
and belonged to a customer which was so obviously untrue i took the hint
and made an exit.

The problem is - this damn thing will now haunt me every time i drive
past!! - guess I'll have to go a different route in future! - or try him
again in a month or two!
Anyone else ever come across one of these? Theyre a marvel of
engineering, 750cc(approx) 4 cyl sidevalve smaller than a lawnmower,
pneumatic tubes to inflate the front seats, all mechanical brakes(no
hydraulics) and the steering tie rod is a threaded pipe!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster