OT. the poop on the Tee's and Macy's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OT. the poop on the Tee's and Macy's
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:56:03 -0400
Since I accidently sent a note to the list that was intended for someone
private, it has become all the rage to scream for Tee shirts and
inexpensive purses that look expensive.
Here's the story.  I live 20 minutes outside of Manhatten and there are
certain bargains to be found there that are not available in many other
places, and I don't mean drugs.

On Canal Street in Chinatown, you can buy beautiful watches that look for
all the world like Movado, Tommy Hilfiger, Tag Heuer, etc at only ten
dollars each. They are all fakes and are made in China.  they work fine, if
not perfectly.  I lose a minute or two on mine, but so what.  To a trained
eye, they fakery is obvious. To the casual observer, nice watch!
I own a Tag Heuer ($790) a Lasalle ($900) a Seiko ($150) and a Skagan
($100).  I wear none of them anymore.
I got five watches for myself, one with a dark blue face that goes nicely
with jeans, a green face that goes nicely with yellow or green shirts, and
a red metallic face that goes with my MGA!  Leather watch bands are $2.

My friend is someone near L.A. who, like me, loves NYPDBlue.  On Canal
Street, I bought a very well made Dark Blue Tee shirt, heavy cotton, with
an embroidered NYPD emblem and NYPD letters stitched right into the fabric.
 You would honestly expect to pay $25 for the quality and embroidered
stuff.  $10.

My girlfriend bought a purse for $20 that looks like a designer purse from
Macys' that sell for hundreds.  Maybe it's vinyl and maybe it's not up to
dooney and Bourke standards, but who knows?  It LOOKs expensive and it ain't.

So now you know the rest of the story.  Good Day!
DDave
'62 MGA 1600 MkII