Re: Is a "B" really worth it!?? -- My story :)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <TXBobcat30@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Is a "B" really worth it!?? -- My story :)
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:43:14 -0500
Jarrod,
Just to add my $.02...
All the previous advice is VERY good. Don't rely on your B to the point that
you get frustrated because it needs work/won't run and you need it to run
for daily trasportation.
Having said that, I'll give you my little story...
When I was 16 my parents told me, "You want a car? You pay for it! End of
discussion."
Ok, so the next step was drastic but fit my overall goals in life at the
time - I enlisted in the Army Reserve, (just for a "taste"). After I
completed Basic before my senior year of HS, I had exactly $1000 saved up. I
found an old VW bug with a bad engine, $500 for the car, $500 for a new
engine installed....boom. I got lucky, everything else worked, at least for
a little while. It was just a plain ol' bug, but we had a great time, and
the "rich boys' " Cal Lookers gave me incentive to improve it as I could. I
drove that Bug until I graduated from college and owned it until just
recently, when I finally sold it for $350 stripped and ready for
resto...with an aching heart but knowing it was going to a good home.
I could bike or walk to school, mind you, which I did A LOT. And VW parts
stores are plentiful in Arizona. When I graduated college, the Bug was
parked in my parent's back yard for 6 more years until I retrieved it and I
bought a CRX cuz I had a job! -- I owned that Bug for a total of 13 years,
though.

I recently bought my 73 B, but I'm at that point where my wife and I each
have newer cars.
Maybe the MG is a good first car, maybe not...you'll learn a LOT with it,
but if you don't have time and spending money, go the riceburner route to
start...follow your instincts and don't rely on the aforementioned
"financial support" to help you when things get rough, love and enthusiasm
will be needed, and you should have plenty of that at your age. Just make
sure you have a good bicycle. ;)

Dan
'73 B