Re: MGA Clutch question

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: MGA Clutch question
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:48:37 -0700 (PDT) (22:48 UT)
>On the 1960 MGA 1600 I am working on the prior owner brazed an extension
 of about one inch onto the end of the clutch actuating rod (rod coming
<out of slave cylinder.)  Any ideas why he might have done that.

 My guess?  I'll bet he replaced the graphite throwout bearing with some
roller-bearing throwout, and had to compensate for the different
configuration with a longer actuating rod.  Some people look askance at the
graphite throwout, when in fact it is yet another example of beauty in
simplistic design.  No bearings to go bad.  The throwout easily lasts
longer than the clutch, and the wear of the graphite face helps to compensate
for the wear of the clutch disk, so that adjustment of the actuator
is not necessary.

 If you find that I'm right, throw out that throwout and restore the
original graphite doughnut.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*