ZS carb rebuild? 77B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ZS carb rebuild? 77B
From: Tom McLaughlin <tomm@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:33:42 -0500
I know this is well covered material, but thought I would share.  I need to
rebuild the ZS carb on my 77B, but as I'm in grad school and work full time
I thought I just let a pro do it as I haven't done it before and want to
drive my car this summer.  I called a local shop and he said, "I won't do
it cause I can't guarantee it.  They should have never put that damn thing
on the MG.  If you bring it to me, I'll put on a Weber."  He was very
helpful and I'm sure being sincere and I'll probably have him do some other
work for me.

The thing is, this is a hobby car for me.  I like them and am trying to
learn.  It doesn't need to run great, just run.  I bought the kit from Moss
and was just going to replace all the parts, clean everything as best I
could, put it back on and readjust it as best I could.  I don't want to
dump a bunch of money if the ZS will perform adequately.  The carb worked
fine for the last 2 years.  The main problem was a tear in the rubber
diaphragm.  I thought about just replacing that...is that a bad thing???  I
bought the Haynes manual as suggested by some on the list also and have
been reading through that.

Anyone have any instructions for an amateur on this.  I don't want to
become a DPO (never will happen cause I won't sell the car) and do
something obviously bad for the car.

Regards,
Tom
77B

Wishing I didn't sign up for 2 MSEE classes this summer.