Re: Fuel sending gage and other assorted stuff

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel sending gage and other assorted stuff
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:36:26 -0500
At 08:06 AM 6/8/98 -0400, RAY WYGONIK wrote:
 My 74B has a ground terminal.  someone replied there should only be
>one terminal, theirs may have just broken off.  With the way the mounting
>plate locks in you probably get a good ground, but I'd run a extra wire to
>ground for good measure.

I disagree, somewhat here, Ray.  My '70 and '65 Bs have the ground wire,
while my '78 B uses the body of the sending unit for ground.  I do,
however, think that running a separate ground to your ground point on your
sending unit is a good idea; but in converse, I believe your ground for
your sending unit is also used by the rear end lights, so if you just
replaced ground for the unit,  you would still have weak ground for those
pieces.

To those who are not very familiar with these autos: check those freakin'
grounds.  I curse the Lucas gods many times, but at the same time I have to
realize these cars are minimum 20 years old, and many times closer to 30
years old.

On an unrelated topic, why does my '65 B have positive ground?  Were those
British engineers drinking hot beer, or what?

And while I have this email window open, I must add to the ozone thread.
My environmental engineering professor adamantly claimed that there is no
unrefutable evidence that our actions are causing many of the environmental
problems.  Environmental wackos are not wholly right and neither are the
big polluters.  It is likely that we will not know the effects of our
actions for some time.  Those who want a reference can call my professor:
Dr. Mulholland.  He is intelligent and makes very thoughtful arguments.  I
respect him greatly.

One argument he makes is general respect for the environment and common
sense, and one of his biggest complaints is of the population explosion.
If you think ozone is a problem, wait till the population doubles in the
next 20 years or less.  So much starvation and potential for political
upheavals and war that it makes ozone sound like Ms. Davidson's best apple
pie.

Keith Wheeler, if you are reading this, I will look up answers to your
questions when I get back to school this coming week, and I will email you
privately.

Jay