Re: MGA fine tuning/thanks

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA fine tuning/thanks
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:30:02
At 10:30 AM 6/18/98 -0500, Bill Eastman wrote:
>It's funny but, on initial startup, the A did not really respond to carb
tuning very well.  .... Although it has been a while since I have rebuilt
an engine, I seem to remember this phenomenon in the past too- that the
motor seems to need some time before it responds to tuning.  Has anyone
else noticed this.... ?

With a fresh engine, the new piston rings in particulat can be quite tight
for a while.  It can need a pretty good throttle setting just to keep it
idling.  After running for a while things will loosen up, and as it does
the idle will keep creeping up so you will be turning it back from time to
time.  Expect it to take at least 500 miles to get loose enough for an easy
idle, and then re-tune it at that time.

>Also, with all new gaskets and less blow by,  the A is virtually oil
tight. ....

Sounds like something wrong with it to me.  ;)

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude