RE: painting

To: "Chris Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: RE: painting
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:38:59 -0500 (EST)
>Thanks for the reply Calvin - yours was the first I received.  After
>thinking it out carefully, I opted to do exactly what you recommend.
>Painted the inside of the door yesterday.
>
>Any words of wisdom on feathering the new paint to the old on the wing
>section?  Using Acrylic Enamel, so I don't think that I will be able to do
>much sanding.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris

Glad I could be of service.  Unfortunately, 99% of the cars we paint are
two stage, a.k.a. basecoat/clearcoat.  On that type of paint, the painters
just blend the base color out into the adjacent panel several inches, and
then clear the whole thing.  With single stage, of course, this won't work.
In a perfect world, of course, the paint would match perfectly, and no
blending would be required.  As we know, however, the Earth is egg-shaped.
Without actually consulting an expert, here's what I'd try.  Carefully
feather into the existing paint, and then buff it when it's cured.  Some
sanding with some VERY fine sandpaper (2000 grit)  may be required,
however.  Of course, this is just an educated guess, so proceed at your own
risk.

Calvin