Re: Ribcase gasket(s) replacement

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Ribcase gasket(s) replacement
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:27:59 -0500
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> I picked up a used ribcase tranny for my 72 Midget (From a fellow
> lister). Specifically, is any of it difficult to
> remove, and should I use gasket sealer?  Thanks.

No, gasket replacement is easy. Yes, use lots of gasket sealer. I really
like the 'aviation type' gasket sealer. This type comes in a small bottle
and brushes on. Use on both side of the gasket and apply to surface cleaned
with acetone.

When you have the side cover off, look very carefully at the first gear
slider which is the gear closest to the tail shaft. This is the non-synchro
gear. It is common to have small nicks in the surface but look out for
large chucks missing. Same as true of the laygear engagement.

As long as you have it this far apart, you may pull the laygear shaft. It
is often gouged pretty bad and, if careful, can be replaced without
dismantling the transmission. With the tranny tilted up on the flywheel
shroud and with the tailshaft housing removed, you can see where the
laygear shaft is fitted flush to the rear main casting.

You can take a tapered drift and, with a few hammer taps, wedge it into the
oil lube hole in the hollow laygear shaft then slowly lift the shaft out
with slight twisting. Once it is out a couple of inches you will be over
the area where the needle bearings ride and, if it is worn, you will be
able to notice. Worn means the machine surface is completely gone. The
front bearing surface doesn't wear much so there is no need to take the
shaft all the way out.

If your careful, nothing shifts out of place on the laygear (check
schematic diagram) and you can slide the shaft right back in. Keep in mind
that it is keyed on the other end and won't sit flush until it is rotated
into its slot.

A worn laygear shaft is the principal contributor of noisy trannys in the
first couple of gears.

As you've probably determined, a Midget tranny sitting on its tail will
drain off all its oil. That seal can be replaced but I wouldn't do it until
you are going to use the tranny as it is likely to dry out. Alternatively,
install it with a coating of grease and rubber-band a baggy over the
tailshaft for storage.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, once had and loved a '74 Midget
"What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is
alive?" -- Irv Kupcinet