Ignition Question

Subject: Ignition Question
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:12:29 -0700
Does the coil on the MGB (73 in my case) use a ballast resistor?  It doesn't
appear to, but I've been wrong before 8^)

I'm putting in a hotter coil (probably an Accel Supercoil). It includes a
resistor that needs to be used w/ systems that have a current ballast
resistor.  This will be done in conjuction with pulling the points and
condenser and putting in an ignitor.

Also, plan to take the gap on the plugs to between .045 and .05.  I read a
test on the improvements to a Jeep CJ7 (my other car) by installing a Jacobs
Electronic Ignition system.  Most of the improvements appear to have come
from a hotter coil and a widening of the sparkplug gap.  A hotter coil w/ no
widening of the gap gave no significant improvement.  Makes sense because
the hotter coil will drive the spark across a wider gap.  Anyway, it is
worth trying -- the Jacobs ignition upgrade runs $399.

Nick
73 B