mileometer - user fixable?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: mileometer - user fixable?
From: "David M. Proffitt" <D.M.Proffitt@mds.qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:14:10 GMT
Hello All

i have a problem with my 1970 MGB GT trip meter and mileometer (the
speedometer works fine)

the trip meter won't zero - the number wheels just spin in the same
relative positions and most of the time neither counter will
register any distance

however if i fiddle with the zeroing knob the trip and mile counters
will start to register for 2 or 3 miles but then stop again

i've never had the speedo apart but i image there must be some sort
of friction drive that is no longer making sufficient contact?

not having the trip meter is just annoying (and makes fuel/miles
calculations a bit vague - i really must fix the petrol gauge:-) -
but i really need to get the milometer working as my insurance is
fixed to 6000 miles a year

just how difficult is this likely to be to fix? - or would i be
better off getting a reconditioned speedo (not particularly cheap at
about =A360)

David