Re: Differential Calc

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: Re: Differential Calc
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:27:08 -0500
Michael Graziano wrote:

> Hello all.  I'm still trying to figure out why my Midget is
> topping out at 50 mph at 4500 rpm.  THanks for all the
> suggestions so far.  While none have solved the problem
> yet,  you have all moved me along the learning curve quite
> rapidly.
> (clip, Clip)

Mike,

Just a little division. Not differential calculus as the heading might
otherwise indicate.(He,He)

A quick way to determine rear axle ratio (if you can't find it stamped
on the housing) is to lift one rear wheel, not both. Turn the drive
shaft by hand, counting the times it turns to turn the lifted wheel two
complete revolutions. Due to the differential action, the lifted wheel
turns twice as many times as the it would if both were able to turn.

If it takes 4 turns of the drive shaft to turn the wheel 2 times(
because one is free to turn while the other is fixed), then the ratio is
4/1.

Remember, the ratio is the turns of the driveshaft divided by the turns
of the wheel)

Chuck Schaefer