Re: Pertronix, was: 73 MGB

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Pertronix, was: 73 MGB
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 07:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
Trevor,

My comments are based on the instructions that came with the LU142 unit. To
quote:

"The Ignitor does require a coil with a _minimum of 1.5 OHMS_ resistance
across the "+" and the "-" of the coil."

Then a couple of lines down: "Remember, always use a coil with a _minimum
of 1.5 OHMS._"

(they're emphasis)

If you've experienced something different, or know of other concerns,
please let me know. Thanks for your input on this.

Jeff

>Jeff Boatright wrote:
>> The only considerartion is whether the Lucas Sport coil has the minimum 1.5
>> ohms of resistance across the the "+" and "-" poles that the Ignitor needs.
>> I just checked with my multimeter and the Lucas Sport coil has 3 ohms of
>> resistance across poles.
>
>  I beleive the "pertronix minimum" is 3.5 ohms, not 1.5 ohms.
>
>  Incidently, Lumenition is now marketing a pertronix-like
>device as well. I've only seen them in magazine ads, but they
>seem functionally identical.
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
>tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
>[ Seeking some miscellaneous MG parts, see the list on the web page... ]

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis
"Seeing the Future in a Very Tiny Way"