Re: Something's missing (not any more)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Something's missing (not any more)
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:22:27 EDT
>Yah.  The corollary to Nory's signature is: "Just because you've
>replaced a part with a new one, don't assume it's any good."
>Been there, done that, cremated it with an oxy-acetylene torch.
>(Bad oil pressure sender)

My dad and I have a section o' the garage wall devoted to the more
unusual causes of mechanical failures, as well as the "KISS" ones:

        New Points
        New Coil
        New Thermostat
        New Inductive Pickup
        New Coil Wire
        New Relay
        New 'Brain Box'
        New Fuel Filter with the outlet blanked off internally
        Double Wall Exhaust Pipe with the inner section
                collapsed and the outer perfectly
                normal looking
        Pieces of a small-block Chevy victim of lack o' ant-
                freeze in winter (rear of the block broke just
                dribbling a small amount of coolant event though
                a 2" by 3" section was barely hanging on)
        Non-vented vented gas cap
        Chevy Starter Brush (it was slightly loose; worked when
                cold, but as soon as it got warm, it broke contact,
                and the car wouldn't start for love or money)
        Short black screw imbedded in tread so that head was not
                visible and tip just barely peaked through (seemed
                to leak air only when screw was at bottom of wheel
                when stationary)
        Mouse Nest in Air Intake at Grille (musta been one *big*
                mouse)
        Collapsed fuel line
        Vacuum line (rigid) with a hole under the clamp

Seems like its the simple things, or the really unusual ones that will
keep you tied up forever....

Rich