tappet/push rod sets

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tappet/push rod sets
From: Steve Hoyt <hoyt@bga.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 09:13:21 -0600
I'm rebuilding my MGB 18V series engine and have discovered that it has an
older head - possibly 18GH.  I ordered new tappets for the 18V and when
they arrived found that the tappets previously in the engine are the older,
shorter type with long push rods.  The old push rods are too long to use
with the new tappets.  Can I order new push rods for the 18V engine and
install my new tappets and push rods in this engine with the older head or
do I need to return the new tappets and order the older style tappet push
rod sets?  I guess my guestion is really about the thickness of the older
head and the resulting camshaft/rocker arm distance.  Is this distance the
same on the 18G engine and the 18V engine?  If it is, I assume I can use
either the old or new tappet/push rod sets.  I know I can't mix old tappets
with new push rods or vice-versa.

Any help I can get is appreciated.  I can't find this information in any of
the books I've got.  I apologize if this has been discussed before on the
list - unfortunately I'm not always tuned in.

Thanks

Steve Hoyt
hoyt@bga.com