MGA 1600 strange sounds from the front

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA 1600 strange sounds from the front
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:53:31 -0400
Good afternoon.

I took the 1960 MGA 1600 I have been working on for the past several
months out for a spin yesterday afternoon.  Still needs tuning and carb
settings but runs good.  Very comfortable ride with tight steering,
clutch working fine and only a little crunching going to second, either
way, from the gear box.  Oil pressure starts at about 70 lbs and after
getting to operating temp, only dropped about 5 lbs at 2500 rpm and to
25 lbs at 750 rpm.

As I was at the end of my run, though, I heard a strange sound coming
from the front of the car.  Sounded like the fan was hitting something.
I didn't listen to it long enough to determine if it was engine speed
sensitive or road speed sensitive.  As i was at the top of my drive, I
let the engine die and coasted to the shop.  Once I parked , I checked
the fan to see if it was hitting somewhere - no evidence of that as I
had freshly painted the fan and saw no marks on the fan or any area in
the vicinity.  Also checked the fan on the generator to see if it had
spun loose or was fouling.  Nothing there.  The water pump was purchased
8-10 years ago, but not installed until a couple of weeks ago.

I started it again later in the evening and there was no noise coming
from the engine that was unexpected.

Any ideas where I should look

Thanks

M. W. Jordan, Jr.