SU vs. Weber

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU vs. Weber
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@bigun.c-gate.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:47:09 -0500
I saw someone suggest an SU upgrade over a Weber within the last couple
of posts.  I feel as if I am imminently qualified to make the following
observations, although YMMV.

I bought a used Weber 32/36 DGV from list memeber Lawrie Alexander about
a year and a hald ago.  At thattime, my 'B was a daily driver, and the
various temperature and humidity levels of Mississippi Winters proved
too much for the SU's.  In a nutshell,  I couldn't find the 'perfect'
mixture.

Lawrie sold me the Weber for a song and a dance.  I cleaned it out,
rebuilt it, and slapped it on.  Now, my car was very reliable, with an
improvement, albeit slight, in fuel economy.

On the other hand, I think I lost about 5 to 10 horsepower in the swap.
At the time, it was worth.  It sucks showing up at work with grease all
over your tie.

Last month after the new clutch/windshield/muffler job, I reinstalled
the old SU's. What the hell, I thought.  My Pathfinder gets me from here
to there, I don;t need no stinking reliability.   Didn't even clean
them.  I just put them on, pulled the choke, and fired it right up.

The difference is tremendous.  I commented to someone that it feels like
I have a V-6 under the hood.  Of course, the Weber was only marginally
better than laying a gasoline-soaked shop rag on the intake manifold.

Seriously, if you need to know for sure that you can get to there from
here without adding dashpot oil or backing the jet off 1/200 of a turn,
go with the Weber.  All other drivers should go with the SU's.  They are
tremendously better.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
pokrefke@c-gate.net
1970 MGB
1995 Nissan Pathfinder

"Brother Ben, this is the best damn sandwich I've ever ate.  It is a
baggett with brie and butter.  I ate four of these every damn day I was
there."  --Jerry Horne