Heat Sink on intake manifold??? - 77B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heat Sink on intake manifold??? - 77B
From: Tom McLaughlin <tomm@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:15:52 -0500
OK...still working on my ZS hissing problem. (well not really...actually
trying to finish grad school, but want to drive my MG) I replaced the
diaphragm in the vacuum chamber cause it had a slit in it.  I still have
the hissing and my next step was to finally break down and rebuild the
thing.  When I took the carb off, I saw a big flat piece of metal in
between the carb and the manifold...I guess it is to dissipate heat???  I'm
wondering if the seal in between the carb and this heat sink has an air
leak or in between the sink and the intake manifold.  I guess I have a
couple questions???:

* Is this thing supposed to be there?
* If so, is it a problem spot for air leaks such as this?
* Should I get a new one if it looks kind of ratty?

Thanks as always (wishing I was on the road),
Tom
77B