Re: xtend - what is it good for?

To: hicks@mohawk.net
Subject: Re: xtend - what is it good for?
From: Mike Lambdin <MLAMBDIN@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 08:04:14 -0500 (EST)
Don,

Xtend and Waxoyl are different substances and used for different purposes.
Waxoyl prevents rust and Xtend chemicaly interacts with rust to change its
composition so it is no longer rust, and thus won't continue to eat away at
metal. As we know rust never sleeps thus I was leary of Xtend's claims of
"converting" rust to another substance thus stopping its' spread. So, I
purchased some, applied it to a large rust spot on my garages galvanized
downspout and 2 years later the rust hasn't spread. I didn't, as recomended,
paint over the Xtend but left it exposed to the eliments to see how well it
would work. My instructions said NOT to sand smooth, doing so deminishes the
rust stopping effect.

I've never used Waxoyl but assume it can't be painted - the name alone gives
me that impression.

Mike Lambdin