Re: '70 MGB GT - Front Dampers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '70 MGB GT - Front Dampers
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 19:45:59 -0700
Regarding front shocks:

The filler is on the side as you described.  If they leak, the seals are
shot so they must be rebuilt.  If you have them rebuilt, be sure that the
bushings are in good shape or are replaced if they are worn.  I've messed
with lever action shocks for many years, and when they start leaking, they
keep leaking.  Having bad shocks will really make a British car drive
terribly since they are part of the suspension itself.

Don Scott

At 10:48 AM 7/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>       Gary, you might want to try some power steering stop leak in the
>shock. If that doesn't work then you need new ones. I know of a place that
>sells rebuilts for $33.00 so email me if you need some. As far as the
>screw being on the side I have no idea.
>...Art
> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Gary Davis
>wrote:
>
>> I looked at my front dampers for the first time last night and discovered
>> that one was leaking pretty bad.  Can it be repaired or should I replace it?
>>  Also, the manuals show the damper fluid filler screw on the top of the
>> damper.  Mine is on the side facing the wheel and it is an Armstrong unit.
>> There is no screw on top.  Anyone have an explanation for this?
>>
>> When using motorcycle fork oil, do you use a heavy oil or a light oil?
>>
>> Thanks as always - Gary Davis

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
     Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF Replica
Check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/