Re: MGA Oil pans

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA Oil pans
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:39:58
At 01:19 PM 7/6/98 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
>Given the difficulty of pulling the oil pan, does anyone follow Haynes'
instruction to pull the oil pan every 2 years of 24 months and clean the
pan and oil pickup strainer?

No.  I use modern detergent oil and it pretty much stays clean on its own.
Otherwise the pan is off every couple of years for some other reason anyway.

And when necessary, I can pull my MGA oil pan in about 20 minutes without
budging the engine mounts.  Most of the screws come out quick with a
reversible drill and a 7/16 socket on an extension.  The 3 center screws up
front come out with a 1/4" drive 7/16" socket, a 1/4" drive u-joint, amd a
short extension.  For the two front corner screws I use a 12-point 7/16"
box end wrench with an offset end, takes about 3 minutes for each screw.

All of this is predicated on having engine mounts in good condition, not
sagging too much.  If your engine mounts are sagging too much to remove the
oil pan this way, then it's probably time to install new engine mounts anyway.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude