Valve clearance on a new engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valve clearance on a new engine
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 09:33:55 -0400
Hello,

  After nearly a year, I'm on the final stages of reassembling the motor
for my '74 B.  I found a very good checklist on John Twist's website for
rebuilding a 5-main MGB.  Unfortunately, I found it near the end of my
project, but in time to use some of his wisdom.

  One thing I saw is that he recommends valve lash of .025" for running
in.  (.015" is normal.)  I've never left the valves loose following an
overhaul before, but I'm not willing to believe I know it all.

  I was wondering if anyone on the list could shed some light on this
for me.

  As always, thanks in advance.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - soon to rise above doorstop status.