Re: Turn Signals on a TC

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Turn Signals on a TC
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:34:04 -0400 (EDT)
Your father's TC beginning to sound more and more like an EXU model.  Here
are some clues to look for, although some of these may be missing or
altered after all these years. A lot of EXUs were "restored" to British
home market specs (more or less) before people discovered that the EXU
modifications are correct.

o Car number (serial number) on the maker's plate (on the battery box)
  ends with "EXU".  This is the most reliable clue.

o 7 inch headlamps with sealed beams.  (Standard TC has 8 inch with
  seperate bulb and reflector).

o Front and rear rolled bumpers with fairly heavy mounting brackets and
  backing bars.  Diecast MG emblem on rear bumper.  (Standard TC does not
  have bumpers).

o Rear license plate mounted on heavy bracket mounted above rear bumper.
  (Standard TC has license plate mounted between rear frame ends.

o TD/TF style licence plate lamp. (Standard TC "D" tail lamp incorporates
  license plate lamp).

o Lucas tail lamps (bullet-shaped body, round lens) mounted on sides of
  fuel tank, incorporating tail, stop, and directional signal lights.
  (Standard TC has one "D" shaped tail lamp mounted next to the licence
  plate, no directional signals).

o Lucas directional signal relay mounted on firewall.  Front wing lamps
  light when brakes are applied (due to oddity in the turn signal relay
  wiring).

o Lucas directional signal switch mounted at bottom center of metal
  instrument panel in center of dash.  (Standard TC has sockets for a
  portable trouble lamp in that location).

o Dual Lucas Windtone horns mounted under bonnet.  (Standard TC has Lucas
  Altette horn mounted on badge bar.

There are other differences, but the brain cells that are supposed to
remember them are on strike.  Anyway, if your father's TC has any of these
features (especially the "EXU" added to the car number), then it is an EXU
(Export Untites States) and is supposed to have turn signals.

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:

> >Should've responded to the original message - but I had to check.  I
>  think it was Phillipe Tusler who was asking about inoperable turn
>  signals on his father's TC?  Someone responded that TCs did not come
>  equipped with that feature - not so.  The EXU model (made specifically
>  for export to the US) was equipped with turn signals - as well as
>  bumpers.  Only 494 of these cars were made and imported.  If that's what
> < your dad has, it's pretty rare!
>
>  I wonder how I can find out?   I understand that the British Heritage
> certidicates do not cover 'T' models.
>  It's also entirely possible that this was a dealer modification, although
> the bakelite switch in the middle of the dash sure looks like factory
> placement.  The two rear lights are both Lucas, and the wiring to the
> lights comes right out of the loom.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net