Re: 73 MGB Cooling System, etc. Progress (longish)

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: 73 MGB Cooling System, etc. Progress (longish)
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 20:06:08 +0000
Dan Ray wrote:

>     1)  I'm replacing the grommets that go where the oil cooler hoses pass
> through the shroud. Now that I've done it....What a Pain!!!! Don't do this
> with children around! This was comparable to the circlips on the rear wheel
> cylinders. I decided that I had to cut them to fit them over the hoses and
> now I'm struggling with getting them fitted into the shroud holes while the
> hoses are through...grrrr.... Did I miss some obvious method or is this just
> one of those things? I have a whole new respect for pro restoration people
> for not scratching new paint while doing this! The grommets are hard rubber,
> btw, which the old ones were not.

I've done this a couple of times by poking one end of the (cut) grommet into
position then rotating it about the hose as if it were threaded on the outside.

Only had to 'encourage' with a blunt instrument the last bit on each one.  You
should then be able to rotate them so the cuts are at the bottom.

PaulH.