Re: Body shop blues- little MG

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Body shop blues- little MG
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:33:20 -0400
>Maybe it's just me but does anyone else wonder how body shops stay in
>business?  I have now had the priveledge of working with three of the

Glad to see that I am not the only one.

>amount of time.  I wonder how many people just accept the crappy work and
>walk away?  I am sure that it isn't an easy job but at least they could be
>honest about the way it looks when returning it rather than feed me some
>line about how wonderful they are.  What a load of hooey.

Well, my story is a little less intense as yours, but may be enlightenting to
some.

First off, I will clarify that I bought an $850 MGB. The body wasn't
terrible -
the rear dogslesgs had rusted through, the rear driver's fender was all bondo,
and the trunk had the crease of stupidity - someone had tried to close it with
the prop up. However, the sills and the floors, as well as the front fenders
were in good shape. Overall, it was a workable job.

I was quoted $3500 to repair the car - that included welding new metal in for
the dogslegs, stripping the car to bare metal, primer, and painting the car
Damask red.

The project lagged on for several months - for the first few weeks they hadn't
touched it. "More profitable insurance work" was in the shop. My mechanic also
said that since it was a restoration, it would be pushed aside more often.

I took delivery of the car about a month ago. It looked great, until I noticed
that they had welded the seams under the door shut. While not terrible
looking,
it totally killed the car for show purposes, which is what I was considering
doing with it. It also now makes the car look like it had shoddy bodywork
done,
or that a problem had been covered up. So far, it seems like the actual work
itself has been good - I am 95% sure that they leaded the car, and did not use
bondo. The paint job was fantastic... but, gee - they hadn't run it in 5
months. Hence, I had a flat battery - when charged the car wouldn't run
either.
No problem, just check under the hoo... wait... why doesn't it open?

"Oh... we got it that way.", said the bodyshop man. Yeah, right.

A frantic email to George Merryweather and the next day I had a hood release
cable. Another tow back to the body shop.

One week later - no car. I had taken my days off hanging around the area so I
could get the car running.

Another week later - the car is done, we just have to get it down there.
(To my
mechanic). Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday. Oh, the tow truck broke down.

I finally got it back. With a huge ass scratch on the front driver's fender.
Guess where the car is going back to next week.

Oh, good thing my car is getting a new interior -- I have a Damask Red
interior
in some spots.

Asking them to paint the trunk was like pulling teeth. I got it painted flat
black out of a spray can. Already, it's scraping off. Oh well, looks like the
Moss carpet kit will be installed there. Oh George... =)

Looking under the bonnet, I can also see how well Russet Brown and Damask Red
DON'T go well with each other. When the engine comes out this winter, I
think I
may do some painting in there. I may end up painting it flat black as well.
Will match the oil that is flying out of the breather vent. Rings are all
messed up.

Oh well, I've put about 160 miles on it - no turn signals, brake lights
most of
the time, and a month overdue for state inspection. The hobby is starting to
give me an ulcer!!! =)

BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven