Re: new to list, need opinions

To: "David H. Cole" <dhcole@ipa.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: new to list, need opinions
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:43:10 -0400
>     I know little about B's- this one has straight almost completely
>rust-free body, but engine has been weberized and desmogged (not neatly, I
>might add) and has not run since at least 85.  I plan to refurbish this car
>as a driver; upgrades & improvements allowed which means I'll be replacing
>the dealer-installed 8-track .

Sounds like my story. My car hadnt run since '85. Needless to say, the engine
needs a rebuild now.

I have the aforementioned 8 track as well. Anyone want to buy it?? =)

>Opinions solicited: (1) best shop manuals for  the B

Hanyes & Bentley

>(2) Weber DCOE: tune it? replace with original Zenith Stromberg and resmog
>it? go with earlier HS4's?

Rebuild it and keep it. I like mine a LOT.

>(3) best(read good value for money) carpet and seat uphostlery?

Moss Deluxe kit, I am told, although I may go for the VB "Commerative" (read:
$1500) Interior

>(4) weak points of the B and how to correct (or cover up) them

On a 78B -- heh. Put a tarp over the engine. Seriously, my B is a slug. I'm
going to be doing serious work to my engine. I was beaten by a Ford Countour
today - who didn't know I was racing him.

>(5) any unsolicited advice or things to look for .

Have fun with the wiring. It's a nightmare on the later cars. I think it's a
tad too complicated for the job it does.

Handling isn't so hot either, even with low profile tires.

It is a FUN car to drive, however. Despite it's problems, I wouldn't trade
mine
for... well, I'd trade it in for an MGA or a 69 B. Or even an MGC!

BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven