Re: Stupid Engine Tricks

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Ben Ruset" <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: Stupid Engine Tricks
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:42:42 -0500
This is from one amateur to another, so flame at me in private if I'm wrong,
please. I enjoy the abuse :)
Of course, smoke coming out of your breather pipes is not a good thing -
here's my $.02. I have a '73 CBB, so I have an advantage, of sorts, but it
applies to all nowadays.
You should get "How to Power Tune MGB Engines" by Peter Burgess, and read it
(It's pretty cheap, like $18).
I'm going to have to pull the engine eventually this fall due to a leaky
rear main seal that's making the clutch slip after long hot drives. I've
never pulled and fixed an engine, but I'll be damned if I let someone else
do it for $40/hour!
He has a lot to say about what to fix and what not to fix. Heads are his
game for improved performance and he likes the stock cam.
You have the same engine as all Bs,  but you have a lot of extra tubing and
such and I don't know about the NJ emissions standards. I wouldn't throw
away the emissions equipment on your RBB, but better breathing could improve
the CO coming outta the back pipe and that's what it's all about. The
automotive community has learned a thing or two about improving emissions
since BL started strapping on all those pumps and pipes. The more you burn
in the cylinder, the less nasty air comes out the exhaust, right?
Buy the book, read it, and think about what you want performance-wise,
that's what I'm doing.

Dan
73B