Re: B problem -Reply

To: jtfred@on134th.com
Subject: Re: B problem -Reply
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:05:24 -0500
At 08:46 AM 7/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>> Well, the fuel lines checked out OK. There weren't any kinks. I
disconnected the
>> vent lines (the ones that connect from the carbs to the charcoal
canister) and it
>> started and ran fine. There was a kink in the vent hose from the carbs
(HIF-4's) to
>> the canister so I replaced the line. I still could not get it to run for
more than
>> 30 seconds. By adjusting the carbs I was able to get it to idle (roughly)
>> eventually, but when I reved it up to about 3500 RPM it would die. When I
disconnect
>> the vent lines I am able to get a decent idle. How exactly are the vent lines
>> supposed to be connected? Is there another way I should try to connect
them? I'm
>> open for suggestions (except if they involve a Webber purchase.....for now).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fred

Fred -

I've missed some of the thread but one thing I haven't heard any mention of
- the solenoid "anti run-on valve" that prevents run-on after the engine is
stopped.  It is mounted on the front bottom of the charcoal canister and is
triggered by the ignition switch and oil pressure.  I don't have my manual
handy - but you might want to check if it's functioning properly.

My understanding of how this works:  Under normal operation, the valve is
closed when the engine is running.  When you turn off the ignition, the
valve is energized (opened) until the oil pressure drops down to a very low
pressure, then it is de-energized(closed).  If you listen during shutdown -
you can hear the solenoid valve click shut as the oil pressure approaches 0.
The opening of the valve vents the carb - preventing run-on.  It sounds like
your valve is open all the time causing a very lean condition.

Good luck,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB
Madison, AL