Re: Now: Inspection Woes, Was: Sermon etc

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Now: Inspection Woes, Was: Sermon etc
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:33:40 -0500
No LBC content.

Back in the 70's, I was in New York state where there was a "Safety
Inspection". I bought a VW Karman Ghia. Usually they give you 10 days to
get it inspected. But since this was a "rebuilt from totalled" car, I
had to get it inspected before I could drive it on the road.

I towed it to the privately run inspection station and left it for
inspection. They were supposed to check for the usual: Brakes, lights,
turn signals, horn, enough body integrity to not fall apart on the road.

I got a call the next day. Inspection complete! Passed fine.

Went to get it. The battery was dead. No lights, turn signals, horn,
wouldn't start....They said they didn't get it started either. After
jump start I drove it home with inspection in hand. Car wouldn't do over
25 MPH and backfired terrible. Points and plugs fixed that.

What good was the inspection? I guess he figured there wasn't anything
unsafe about a car that couldn't start or run.

I was lucky! Don't think I could get away with that today.

Chuck Schaefer