Re: MG Trivia Quiz, Magnettes

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: MG Trivia Quiz, Magnettes
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:19:22 -0400
miker15@juno.com wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 06:59:36 -0700 neil.cairns@virgin.net writes:
> >And........
> >          Hopefully the superb magazine "MG WORLD" is to run a feature
> >on the 59-68 MG Magnette soon. Did you know there are only about 150
> >left in the whole WORLD??
> >
> >Neil
> >
> Didnt knw that - did anyone buy that one that was for sale recently?
> (in Baltimore for $1200 as i recall)
>
> mike robson
> 69 roadster
> 70 BGT
> 72 roadster

Mike,

I went and looked at it.  I did a little research on the Farina Magnette
before going, and was surprised at the negative, derogatory information
I came across.  (What follows is my opinion only - not meant to offend
or to start a ruckus.  But it probably will...)  My friends, they are
right.  Boy - that's one ugly car. I'm sorry, Neil, but I think 150 of
those things are 150 too many.

Now I must admit that my judgement was probably swayed by the condition
of the car in Baltimore - it was really pretty bad.  If it had been in
tip-top shape, I might have been able to see some charm and uniquemess
in the model.  It did have leather seats and a wooden fascia that must
have looked nice at one time or another - but the basic car looks like a
Studebaker Lark with fins.

Bottom line?  IMHO an example of badge engineering at its worst.

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/