Re: Repair a Right Angle Drive for Speedo cable '70 B.

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Repair a Right Angle Drive for Speedo cable '70 B.
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@bigun.c-gate.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 16:19:22 -0500
There was a time, just a short year ago, that I was a starving college kid.
 The MGB was my sole transportation, and I was quite adept at making
repairs to keep her on the road.

One day, my speed quit.  I traced the problem to a faulty right-angle drive
(hereafter referred to as RAD).  The short wire section that enters the
transmission had wound itself out.  I had nowhere near the money for a new
RAD, so I consulted the list.

I dissassembled the unit, ground a nail flat on the concrete, and soldered
it in place.  I repacked the unit with grease and reinstalled it.  Of
course, the nail wasn't aligned properly and the unit wouldn't install.  I
bought a speedometer cable for over-drive cars, and with the extra length,
was able to hook the speedometer up.  The RAD is now nailed to the garage
wall to remind me of my humbler days.

The morale of the story is to keep your speed cable clean and lubricated.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III

----------
> From: Andrew B. Lundgren <lundgren@iname.com>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Repair a Right Angle Drive for Speedo cable '70 B.
> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 2:48 PM
>
>       Does anyone know how to repair a Right angle drive for the speedometer
cable off of a '70 B.  A
> guy here in town will sell me one that he has done for $40, I can get a
used one for $30, or a new one for
> $80.
>
> This is the part that connects the the speedomenter cable to the
transmission on a '70 B.  The only thing that
> seems to be wrong with it is the little cable that comes out of it and
goes into the transmission gear is worn
> off.  (Broken due to fraying.)  Since this guy in town knows how to fix
one, it follows that somebody else