Re: batteries

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: batteries
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:19:25 -0600
At 09:33 AM 7/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>David-
>
>The two batteries in series double the voltage, not the current.  Your "dual
>6V" setup would yield 12V and 350 cranking amps.  The Type 26 which fits the
>'B is 12V and around 425-450 cranking amps.  It's not a dramatic improvement
>- but it's certainly a little easier on the pocketbook.  :)
>
>Regards,
>
>Rich Mason
>'73 MGB
>Madison, AL

Rich,

I agree that the two 6 volt batteries in series would double the voltage
and not the amperage (basic electronics). However, I'm not sure that
cranking amps and amperage equate to the same thing.

Cranking amps actually refers to a power potential. Or so I believe. It is
a measure of a certain amount of power as a function of time. I'll ask the
battery guy when I decide to order. Unless someone on the list can offer
their expertise on the subject that knows how cranking amps are determined.

I just know that here in Montana, a 12 volt battery doesn't rate unless its
500+ cranking maps, although a MG may start on less at 20 below zero.

David