Moss SU Tuning Video

Subject: Moss SU Tuning Video
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:05:07 -0700
Ordered the SU Tuning Video from Moss last week and watched it for the first
time last night.  For those who have not rebuild a SU carb before, it is a
pretty good tape. My experience has been on American carbs such as the
Carter BBD, so SUs seemed a bit strange to me and I wanted to understand how
they worked before delving into them myself.

The tape covers rebuilding 4 versions - HD, HF, HS, HIF - with most of the
tape time going to the HD and then showing just the differences for the
other carbs.  It included some techniques for getting at or installing the
tricky parts.  Plus, what to look for when checking the carbs for damage.

After covering the rebuilds, it showed the installation and tuning of each
of the carbs.

Pros: The tape is well produced and covers the actually rebuild in a very
complete manner.  Visually seeing how the carbs were built is a real
benefit.  Should save much time and frustration when doing the refurbishment
yourself.

Cons:  Because the rebuild on the non-HDs were based on the HD, you'll have
to spend some time jumping around in the tape.  The later carbs are also
covered a bit quickly.  Also, no theory of operation was covered -- while
not necessary for the rebuild, would be helpful in understanding problems.
The tuning portion was also a bit short with breezing over portions of the
tuning with statements like "when it is spot on, you'll know".

Price of $39.95 is a bit steep, but I think worth it if you plan to do
maintenance on the carbs yourself.  Overall, it was a good buy and I'd
recommend it.

If you're in the San Diego, CA area and want to borrow it, drop me a line.

Nick
73B