Re: Two questions unanswered: 64 MGB

To: "Blake M. Wylie" <bwylie@hiwaay.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Two questions unanswered: 64 MGB
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 06:38:52 -0400
At 09:58 PM 7/23/98 -0500, Blake M. Wylie wrote:

>Thought I might ask again...  :)

>If I put a Lucas sports coil on my car (without an electronic ignition),

>what do my point and plug gaps need to be?

Blake, the point gaps cap be increased to around .035 or larger.  Just increase
the gap and put a heavy load on the engine.  If the ignition stumbles, then
back the gap off.  If it sounds fine, then you can open up the gap.

As far as the point gap is concerned, I think you should leave it stock.  The
points take none of the voltage of the coil, and changing the gap would change
the dwell, which changes the timing of your dizzy.  I say this despite the fact
that my points are burning out every 5000 miles or less.  New dizzy, new Lucas
points (at least 5-10 sets), good engine ground.  I just don't know any more.
:(

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.