Re: Lucas sports coil

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Lucas sports coil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:24:02 -0600
I appreciate all the comments I got on the lucas sports coil. I've pondered
buying one for several years with hope of performance gains. And my current
standard ignition coil is still the same one that was in my 71 BGT when I
bought it about 16 years ago.

Admittedly (I'm embarassed to say), my car has not been a good starter for
several months. It was taking about four or five tries, in which the car
just fires then dies right away, before the car sustains an idle. Maybe the
sports coil will help.

I've tuned the car up, with new points ,rotor, condenser (Lucas of course).
Changed plugs. Finally two weeks ago, I removed the carbs and intake
manifold - cleaned the surfaces and used new gaskets. That would take care
of possible vacuum leaks. And I even cleaned out the su carbs.

I don't know if I took care of the problem because I didn't drive the car
until a few days ago, since it was hot outside. It didn't fire up right
away but then the car hasn't been driven either.

Of course after it starts in the morning, it runs quite well. So I don't
know if its fixed yet. But has anyone else had similar bad starting
experiences? Its slow (10-15 seconds?) to get to when it will fire, then
for several tries, it fires on one or two cylinders, then dies. Once
started in the am, it a quick starter and good runner all day.

I'm sure with all the tinkering, I'll get it fixed if I haven't already.
I will be relacing my grose jets with original style jets this weekend. And
I'll probably adjust the valves too. But who knows - maybe I'm missing
something. Any other suggestions, besides driving the car more often?

David