Re: Crack of Doom

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:07:43 -0400 (EDT)
----------------original message----------------
Can anyone explain what needs to be done to repair the crack. What is the
fix to keep it from happening again once fixed? I know this has been
discussed before but I
never had an them need.

TIA
Rick Jennings

-----
Rick
I repaired the crack on both doors of my 74 B.  I opened up the crack to about
1/8" and clamped a small piece of metal behind the crack.  Also drilled a small
hole at the bottom end of the crack to relieve stress.

I then welded (mig welder) the crack shut, also welding through to the backing
metal. I was able to grind the weld down flush and only needed some leveling
paste to smooth it all out.

Past post on the list indicate just welding the crack shut will not hold up.

Good Luck