MGA maintenance questions

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA maintenance questions
From: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 10:39:49 -0700
I just became the proud new owner of a 62 MGA 1600 MkII.
I would like to change the oil and put on a new filter.
I have been advised to use a NAPA (Wix) filter in conjunction with 20W50
oil. is this correct?
Also, I'd like to put in a new fuel filter. Where is this located on the
car and if it doesn't have one, what should I install? if it does have
one, who makes the best one? I have seen the ones in the top of the
float bowls...are these the only filters?

Just got a new set of ECHLIN points (aftermarket Co dist thru NAPA)
should these be a suitable replacement? Also, what about standard NAPA
dist caps and rotors...are these suitable replacements and can they be
trusted in a car such as mine?

Also, the little rubber gasket thingy on the dipstick is long gone, am I
doing any damage to the engine by running the engine without it in
place?

Plugs, I bought the "closest" to the manual recc'd Champion N5 spark
plug. Should I go with Champion, or is NGK a better idea?

These are questions that I'm sure that many an A owner has wrestled with
in the past, I just want to get the best advice so I can run this car
correctly.

Thanks to all the wise ones again

Kevin Richards
77B