Re: 225K Mile B

To: coleman@sd.aonix.com
Subject: Re: 225K Mile B
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 20:34:52 EDT
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 10:16:18 -0700 "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
writes:
>Was over at the Marine Training Base here in San Diego and spotted a
>rubber
>bumper B in the parking lot.  Talked to the guy driving it -- it was a
>79
>and had just over 225,000 miles on it.  Said he had owned the car
>since 83,
>that it was the only car he had ever owned, and he used it as his
>daily
>driver.
>
>I asked him about what he done to it to keep it going.  The car had
>never
>even had an engine rebuild.  In fact, the only major repair was the
>clutch a
>few times -- hadn't even had a problem w/ his electrics (except
>replacing
>the alternator).  Of course, he had pulled the air pump and cat (so
>the
>great and powerful MOWOG wasn't a factor) which probably helped.
>
>But, just goes to show how reliable the B can be.
>
>Nick
>73B
At the risk of "one upmanship", one of my fellow club members is the
owner of a 1977 MGB which he bought new. It is a daily driver, and the
only car he owned, until he recently got a good deal on a MG 1100. He
finally got the engine rebuilt at just over 250,000 miles, cause he said
I blew his doors off one Sunday afternoon with my Midget. (I didn't have
the heart to tell him, the engine was a Rally spec 1275).
  But when he comes to my house, there's more than 1 million miles of MG
in the drive.
 1.  Bill's B  -  260,000 +
 2 My BGT -  205,000  (one engine rebuild)
 3. My Midget - 267,000 (one engine rebuild)
 4. Son's Midger - 2658,000 (one engine rebuild)

 And if a couple of other club members drop by, the numbers grow rapidly.
 Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 8 other SBMOC'ers who
have in excess of 200,000 on their MG's.

 Yeah, the MG does seem to hold up pretty good, at least the few hundred
thousand miles we've coverd so far.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget