AIR PUMP REBUILD

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (Receipt Notification Requested) (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: AIR PUMP REBUILD
From: William G Abbott <william.g.abbott#064#boeing.com@mail.mdc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:11:23 -0700
Matt Kulka
I have an one operational airpump working on my 11/74 B-GT here in CA.  Soon I
will have
3/74 Midget (mama) airpump working. If you consider moving to CA you better
have
everything (all original installation) components for your 1974.  If you didn't
know, 1974
is the first  year for smog in CA.   The next change for CA smog laws will be
in late 2003
when they (I hate using that word) will make all cars 30 years or more smog
exempt.
We (MG owners) hope.
You better start looking for that fat lady to sing because the latest dynometer
(wheel rolling under a load speed computer) smog checks for 1974 MG'S
with twin carbs, pull choke and no cats require every piece swinging monkey
motion
to be attached.  Mine passed in 2/97, no dynometer.  I was told once that the
1974 1/2 MG'S had a hard sell in CA  due to their poor (high HC'S and CO'S).
I don't think you could pay off the mechanic t he computer is linked directly
DMV Sacramento. DMV knows when you fail the first time.  Extensions available
The smog station and mechanic's license in on line and they don't want to
pencil
whip your results, Smog stations would like to soak you for extra work.
No matter when your vehicle has been smoged last, when you enter CA,
DMV wants to soak you.  Perhaps you can leave the car registered to a family
member in your home state, operate the car in CA with out of state plates up to
late 2003.
You can look up the smog requirements for each state under yahoo.
I'll be smogging the 74 midget (mama) very soon and I know it will be a big
hassle.
BILL