Re: Machine shops in the UK?

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Subject: Re: Machine shops in the UK?
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:10:11 -0700
Simon Matthews wrote:

> Here in the states, there seems almost to be a machine shop on every
> corner, willing and equipped to do all kinds on work on engines, etc.
>
> Yet, when I lived in the UK, I was not aware of such places. In fact I
> cannot think of a single such place. They must exist, but how does one find
> them?
>
> Simon
>
> ---
> Simon Matthews
> '57 MGA

These machine shops WERE common, but now rare. Look for a town/area that
has a lot of transport/haulage companies. These support machine shops by
requiring rebores etc on the commercial vehicle engines. Ask the fitters
where they get their engineering work carried out.

My local 'shop closed as the owner died, and his mate was into his 60's,
but they were GOOD. Rebore & regrind on a four cylinder, £80, parts
extra. I now use FERRIDAY ENGINEERING in Wolverhampton, 01902 739690. (
They do 4 unleaded exhaust valve seat inserts for £60, parts extra.)

Neil