Re: Fuel Additive Concerns

To: Nick Coleman <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Additive Concerns
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:51:28 -0700
Nick Coleman wrote:

> I was at our local club meeting last night (San Diego MG Club) and we had a
> mechanic in as our guest speaker.  One of the questions asked (which he
> didn't go very far into) was on fuel additives to protect the valves/upper
> cylinder head.
>
> What are the recommendations of the list members?  I use Marvel Mystery Oil
> (out of habit) and CR2 lead additive (because of price)?
>
> Also, a side discussion started on the effects of new fuel additives being
> added by the gas companies to reduce emissions.  There was concern that
> these could cause leaks in fuel lines.  Any experience on this and (if true)
> how to prevent it?
>
> Nick
> 73 B
> NAMGBR

I read recently that in NEW ZEALAND there had been a lot of car fires to
classic cars, where plastic fuel lines had melted with the additives in
the leadfree fuel there. The chemical simply diluted the pipe into the
fuel till the pipe ruptured, and fuel ran onto hot manifolds.

Anyone down on OZ know any more?

ALL my three MG's have hardend steel inserts in the exhaust valve seats,
to cope with leadfree, one has an XPAG engine, the other a 'B' series,
the last an 'A' series.

Neil