Re: Leaky 1275 Spridget Motor, seeking help

To: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: Leaky 1275 Spridget Motor, seeking help
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 07:39:33 -0700
ejrussell@sprynet.com wrote:

> Seeking help from knowledgeable Spridget owners. I am helping a friend repair
> Morris Minor that has a 1275cc Spridget engine. It is leaking oil from the
>back
> plate. We cranked it over (out of car) using a heavy-duty drill motor and have
> confirmed it is leaking from the oil pump. Is this common and how does one
>make
> an effective fix?
>
> Already tried new gaskets...
>
> Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
> Bridgewater, MA

If there is a leak from the oil pump, the gasket must be split.
Depending on the age of your 1275cc engine, it will have either three,
or four bolts holding it onto the end of the camshaft drive. The 'extra'
bolt was because the pump leaked!!! You can make a gasket up using
gasket card/paper, and a VERY THIN smear of Hylomar, or one of the
silicon gasket sealants. Do NOT put too much on, ( ie the ooozzing out
gunge type repair!!! )

The metal cover also needs sealing into the backplate on fitting, again
use the sealant. On the 948, 1098, engines there is a oil drain hole
from the pump cover back into the crankcase. On Morris Minors it is
common to use the MINOR engines back plate, which needs filing out to
fit both the rear main bearing cap, AND the slightly larger oil pump
cover. If yours uses a modified MINOR back plate, there is a very good
chance no-one has SEALED the pump cover, and it leaks......

Neil