Re: Trustworthy Tire dealers + update

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Trustworthy Tire dealers + update
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argohouston.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 98 07:14:22 CST
Michael,
   My own experiances with getting tires installed on
wires here in TX has been less than thrilling.  Most of
the big tire shops give you a blank look when you ask
about wire or tubes either one.
   What I did was go to the local parts store a buy new
tubes, because most of the shops don't even carry them
any more.  Then you have to find a place with the right
kind of tire machine and someone who knows how to use it.
   The most common tire machine you find is the type where
a forcing cone is screwed down over a center post locking
the wheel to the machine, then the bead breakers come up
from the bottom and down from the top to break the bead
loose (Ok so far), then the bar is stuck under the bead
and over the center post, which then rotates the bar
around lifting the bead over the rim.  This type machine
(in my limited experiance) is H*LL on wires. It puts too
much force on the wheel/hub when removing the tire because
the wheel is being held by the hub.
   The second type machine, used mainly for alloy wheels
has clamps the hold the wheel rim, and a bead bar the comes
down from the top and is stationary.  The maching rotates
the wheel under it.  Look for this kind of machine and
someone familuar with tube installatio and you'll be OK.
Harlan.