Re: Oil Filters

Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:10:24 -0500
I have been using Purolator Premium Plus filters with no problem
(#L280001). The book actually calls for one even shorter. The #L280001 is
about the size of a PH43. The anti-drainback valve works very well. I used
to use PH8A filters on my Slant 6 and 318 Dodges. I don't recall if they
had the "valve" but I do know that a PH43 will not work on an older Slant 6
because the stand pipe is too long.

One thing I noticed is that oil change intervals on my '79 need to be
shorter than I've been used to lately. My Blazer easily goes 3000 miles but
the oil in the B is trash at 2000 (judging by the oil pressure). The B runs
real good though even with the ZS carb.

At 07:50 AM 8/6/98 -0700, Eric Zambori <eaz@snet.net> wrote:
>The short filter is a FRAM PH43 and the long one is a FRAM PH8A.  The
>PH43 is a typical Chrysler 6 and 8 cylinder from the 60's and 70's.  The
>PH8A is a typical Ford from the same era.  Have your parts guy cross
>either number into something other than FRAM.
>
>EAZ
>
>Feldman, Jack (Jack) wrote:
>>
>> I don't have the numbers with me, but there is a larger filter that will
fit
>> the MG's. It is about 2 inches longer than the standard one, and therefore
>> has more filtering surface. I always use them. Look up MG in the book, and
>> then ask someone who knows filters the number of the bigger filter. NAPA
has
>> them. They can often be bought on sale. I'm trying to get to my local Track
>> Auto which has filters on sale this week.
>>
>> Interesting trick. At the C gathering someone had a spin on adapter, and
had
>> painted his filter (the larger version that I mentioned above), green to
>> match his perfectly painted engine.
>>
>> MGA filters to fit the canister type housing should be available from NAPA.
>> The Healey 3000 filters are available. I had the number, went to my local
>> NAPA store, and they didn't have to order it! The filter is the can with
>> holes in it, and a paper element. I prefer the felt filters, but this
did in
>> a pinch.
>>
>> Jack

Steve Bettencourt