too strong fuel pump=carb problems?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: too strong fuel pump=carb problems?
From: Don Walton <dhw@atomic.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:32:24 -0400
Hello all, My 77 B started having fuel pump problems ( SU ) so I went to the
Good OL boys NAPA store to get an aftermarket pump, got pump and regulator
and installed.  No problem until fuel started GUSHING out of the overflows
on the carbs (HIF4's), anyway to make a long story short, I found out that
the GOBs had given me a pump which was pushing about 5 lbs pressure WITH th
fuel regulator.  I exchanged pumps, and the gas is still coming out of the
overflows.  The only thing that I can think of is that the float tabs were
bent when the pressure was too high and have to be re adjusted.  Has anyone
out there had a similar experence?  I have also learned that the small NAPA
pumps ( which look a lot like the small pump Moss sells)  is very loud and
that I am going to break down and pay the cash for another SU pump which is
very quiet.  If anyone has any insight into this please let me know and once
again I thank the list.

                        Don Walton in NC with a gushing 77B