Re: hydrolic fluid

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: hydrolic fluid
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Pheysey wrote:

> all my manual says about what type of fluid to use in the clutch
> master cylinder is "the correct hydrolic fluid" would that be brake
> fluid/ power steering fluid/ what?

Use brake fluid.

You'll probably get a lot of responses to the effect that you shouldn't
use standard DOT3 brake fluid because it rots the rubber parts in British
hydraulic systems (brake and clutch).  If you choose to believe those
stories, use Castrol GT/LMA fluid (which meets DOT4 specs) or silicone
fluid (which meets DOT5 specs).

For what it's worth, in my opinion the "rubber rot" warnings are nonsense.
I used DOT3 fluid in British cars from the late 50's until about five
years ago, and never had a failure. Back before DOT3 became the standard
in the US (and much of the world) some cheap American brands of brake
fluid were mineral-based.  That worked fine with most American brake
systems because the "rubber" parts were usually neoprene, not natural
rubber.  British rubber parts were usually natural rubber, which is eaten
up by contact with mineral-based hydraulic oils. Back then using American
brake fluid in a British car was risky, but that risk was removed when
non-mineral DOT3 fluid became the standard. I've found DOT3 fluid to be
absolutely reliable in British hydraulic systems.

I tried silicone fluid for a while, but recently I've standardized on
Castrol GT/LMA for all my cars (British and otherwise). I liked the fact
that silicone fluid doesn't eat paint, but found it extremely difficult to
get all the air bubbles out in some of my cars.  Castrol GT/LMA does eat
paint like DOT3, but it's a lot easier to bleed than silicone and absorbs
moisture less readily than DOT 3 fluid.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net