hydrolic fluid... BARNEY! Please join in!

To: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Subject: hydrolic fluid... BARNEY! Please join in!
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 08:03:15 -0400

And Chip Old said:
>I tried silicone fluid for a while, but recently I've standardized on
>Castrol GT/LMA for all my cars (British and otherwise). I liked the fact
>that silicone fluid doesn't eat paint, but found it extremely difficult to
>get all the air bubbles out in some of my cars.  Castrol GT/LMA does eat
>paint like DOT3, but it's a lot easier to bleed than silicone and absorbs
>moisture less readily than DOT 3 fluid.

Yikes! I had never heard this before, so this is great reading... My hoses
appear to be replacements (MGA) but it definately has DOT5 silicone fluid.
I have always thought that the pedal felt a tad too spongy, but my PO said
that it was normal for silicone, but now 'm wondering (per Chip) if there
are indeed air bubbles mucking about in there.

I'm in the process of rasslin' with new front disks, so based on your
advice (both of you) it looks like it's time to go to Castrol GT/LMA.

I'd be (for about the fourth time) forever greatful if one of yous guys
would give the whole rundown on what to do and how to do it.  This is a BIG
issue for me, as it would really mess up my day to switch my "pre-dented"
grill for a deeply smashed one.

Thanks tons.
Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 MkII