TRF Summer Party report (longish)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TRF Summer Party report (longish)
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:30:46 -0400 (EDT)
To say it "doesn't get any better than this" would not do justice to this
year's TRF summer party.  The weather, people and cars all hit a high note.

TRF is located on a hill in Armagh, PA, in the foothills of the Alleghenys.
Picturesque would be one way to describe the area.

Friday started off with drag races at the local raceway, though I missed that,
the reports indicate a great time.

Friday evening Charles had a live band (yes as opposed to dead), free beer
(though disclamer's it was not provided by TRF, but by friends of TRF), and
fireworks.  Several hundred people camped in the fields around TRF. Probably
500-700 enjoyed the evening.

My wife and I were in caravan of about 20 lbc's  that drove back to Indiana at
the end of the night.  A full moon, warm August night and 20 miles of great
country roads.

Saturday was a ralley, autocross, gynkama, mountain road tour and ending the
evening was a picnic and movie at a local drive-in.  It was quite a site to see
a drive-in full of British cars.  I managed to sqeeze all events in exept the
mt road tour.  THe road tour started at TRF at 5:00 pm and pulled into the
drive in at 6:00.  There were over 150 lbcs in the tour.  The police blocked
traffic so all cars could leave TRF togther.  Wow!

Sunday finished off with Concours de Elegance in downtown Indiana.  Though TRF
is know more for Triumphs, there were in excess of 85 MGS of various models in
town on Sunday.  Over 500 British cars participated during the weekend with
probably 25% if those MGs.  Sunday had about 400 parked along the main street.

TR-8's were the featured car of the party and 86 showed up.  Charles noted in
his closing speech Sunday, that was a record for the most TR-8's ever assembled
togther as long as you didn't count the poor dealer who had that many in his
lost when no one wanted to buy them.

Thanks to Mike Leshego for bringing me a replacement  seat belt buckle.  He
was the only lister I ran in to the whole weekend.  Mike is just a young guy,
and if he is any indication of the next generation to take over this hobby we
are in great shape.

My wife really caught the bug this weekend.  All she wanted to do was find cars
with for sale signs on.  I guess I just have to listen to her like I always do
and buy another lbc!.  yes it doesn't get any better than this