Re: Top installation - DIY or let a pro

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Top installation - DIY or let a pro
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:03:13 -0400 (EDT)
Joh wrote
>My B had a new top put on it recently (but before I got it), when they
>drilled out the rivets, the ends stayed in the bow, and now they rattle when
>I turn corners. It's a very minor irritant, but I wish they hadn't done
>that...

I replaced my top and thought I got all the rivets out, but one escaped me.  It
was irritating.  I solved the problem by removing one of the screws that
attaches the frame to the header and squirted in some clear silicone
windshield sealer.  The sealer is quite fluid so it flows to the low point.
I then took the car for a short ride, the rivet rolled into the sealer and the
noise stopped.  If you have sereral rivets rolling around, I'd pull a screw out
of both sides and squirt the sealer in to be sure you get them all.